Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why my piece is post modernist

Post modernism is about rejecting traditional views of "fine art". The very medium I use is post modernistic in nature. Animation is often not seen or taught as fine art. There are no history of animation classes offered by the art history department. Though it may come to be more widely accepted as fine art in the future, right now the idea of having a cartoon animation in a gallery with paintings and sculptures is not a traditional idea.

The concept of my piece focuses on language barriers but it illustrates this point in a very post modernistic approach. The characters of my animation are a young business owner and a dead (zombie) man. Traditionally in society, language barriers exist only between cultures. However, my piece goes farther than just a cultural barrier and puts in place the barrier of life and death. My story uses these characters and barriers to explore a real-life issue and puts a comical and light-hearted spin on the topic.

Both the medium and the characters in my piece demonstrate a post modernist way of thinking. There is nothing "traditionally fine-art" about my piece and I believe that that fact only acts to make it stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment